Access Statement for Exton House
John and Julie welcome you to our home which is located in a quiet area of Torquay and offers 5 guest bedrooms one being on the ground floor, unfortunately the proportions of this room make it unsuitable for wheelchair users.
We aim to meet the needs of all our guests but the building proportions might make access difficult for some with limited mobility.
We are located on a hill and have rooms both on the ground and first floor. There are steps up from the car park and into the guest house, doorways and corridors are wide and the main areas are uncluttered allowing ease of movement inside the guest house.
• We are 1 mile from the city centre - a walk of approx. 15 mins.
• There is a bus stop in Falkland Road (less than 5 mins walk) and there is a frequent bus service.
• The main train station is 5 mins. away by car.
• There are a number of local taxi services that have accessible taxis if required. We can supply contact numbers so that you may make a booking if required.
• Brochures and menus can be provided in large print if necessary.
• Our website - www.extonhotel.co.uk - provides pictures of a selection of our guest rooms and further information about the services we provide.
• You can contact us by telephone, email or fax. Please see the contact information section of this document for full details.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
• Please advise us of your anticipated arrival time so that we can be sure we are here to welcome you.
• On arrival, we ask all guests to call at our front entrance. From our front gate, there is a tarmac pathway leading to our entrance porch. The entrance has 24hr lighting.
• There is free roadside car parking on the road at the front of the premises.
• We also have a car park at the rear in Rowdens road which is a cul-de-sac, with ample room for 3 cars. The car park has a slight upward slope with tarmac surface , there are 16 steps (av.ht. 18cm.) with hand rail on the right hand side up to the level of our entrance door which has two steps (av.ht 20cm.) into the property.
• The car park is illuminated during the hours of darkness.
• We are able to assist guests with luggage if this is required.
Main Entrance, Reception & Ticketing Area
• There are two steps ( 20cm high) into the property through the large main door which is normally locked , please use the door bell located approx halfway up the door on the left .
• Unfortunately the age and design of the building makes it impossible to install a ramp.
• The entrance passage is 1.5m wide with a telephone seat/table to the right leaving 1m walking space through the vestibule door, the area opens out into a hall, to the right is a glass door into the guest lounge where you will be invited to sit on arrival to fill in registration details and discuss breakfast times etc.from here you will be escorted to your room, help will be given with luggage.
Public Areas - Hall, Stairs, Landing, Corridors etc
• Straight ahead of the lounge is the staircase leading to the first floor, there are 15 steps up to a small landing where room 3 is located plus a separate toilet for guest use, a further 3 steps up leads to two more doubles rooms 4 & 5 also a family room at the end of the corridor room 6.
• The staircase is 1m wide the steps are 18cm high and 25cm deep there is a handrail on the left as you ascend.
• To the left side of the staircase is a corridor (93cm wide) past the ground floor guest bedroom 1&2 (adjoining double/ single family room) to another glass door which opens out into the dining room, to the right of this door is the glass door to our private quarters where a bell is located if assistance is required during evening hours.
• All areas have short pile fitted carpet.
Public Areas - Sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
• All of the guest bed rooms are en-suite although the public WC is located on the first landing ,it is quite small but has a hand basin ,hand towel ,soap and wc,the light switch is located on the right inside the entrance door.
• Our guest lounge has two three seater sofas, a TV with freeview channels teletext and subtitles available on some channels.
• We have a guest computer where you are able to connect to the internet free of charge , if you have a laptop you can also connect via our wifi.
Restaurant / Dining Room, Bar & Bar area, Take Away & Cafe
• Dining Room.
• Our dining room is situated on the ground floor, past the staircase, a glass door opens out into it.
• We have four solid bar style tables which measure 105cm long 60cm wide and 73cms high which comfortably seat 2-3,we have one extending table which is 75cms high and seats 4-5 ,the dining chairs are without arms, Childs highchairs are available on request.
• Special diets can be catered for with prior notice, please inform us of any food allergies.
• We play background music during mealtimes.
• Our small bar is located at the window end of the dining room.
Bedrooms & Sleeping Areas
• There is central heating throughout the house. The temperature of each guest bedroom is controlled by thermostatic controls on the radiators. Each bedroom has a hospitality tray with tea, coffee etc. the kettles in every room are cordless with a clear plastic strip down one side to view the water level. In each room there is a hair dryer and a freeview TV with remote control. Each room has storage space which usually consists of a wardrobe, dressing table with drawers, chest of drawers and bedside cabinet.
• All areas including bedrooms have short pile fitted carpet, except bathrooms and WCs which have vinyl flooring.
• Average bed-height is 58cm; average width of doorways (room entrance) is 80cm (some are much larger!). In en-suite facilities â€“ en-suite doorways average width is 74cm.; average WC height is 40cm; average height of wash-basins is 80cm.
• Room 1&2:Ground floor adjoining double and single rooms separated by a wall with door through, access to the en-suite shower room is through the single part, this room is let as one unit.
• All the en-suites have a WC, shower cubicle and hand basin.
• Room 3: This double en-suite is 15 steps up on the first floor, up the next three steps Room 4 & Room 5 are double en-suite rooms.
• At the end of the corridor Room 6 is located; this is a family room having a double and bunk beds.
• There is a fire extinguisher in the entrance hall and on the upstairs landing.
• We are able to use the front and rear doors should evacuation be necessary. The fire alarm rings continuously if evacuation is needed. If you need assistance in this kind of emergency (e.g. hearing impairment) please let us know on arrival and we will ensure that you are evacuated safely.
• We are totally non-smoking inside the guest house, if you wish to smoke we will provide ashtrays outside.
• We can store medication etc.in our fridge.
• A selection of local information is available in our displays in the entrance hall.
• There is a folder in each guest bedroom which gives tourist information about Torquay and the surrounding area, useful phone numbers and our service.
• Further information about Exton House routines and emergencies is displayed on the wall in each room.
Address: Exton House
12, Bridge Road
Telephone: Telephone:01803 293561
Hours of operation: John and Julie live on site so we are always available if needed.
Check in time is from 2pm-8pm, please inform us if you require later or earlier times so this can be arranged.
Check out time is 10.30 am.
• We are changing the exterior colour to sand/white early 2009 and have almost completed this
• We are planning to upgrade the en-suite in rooms 1&2 and hope to have this completed by the end of 2009
• New carpets for Rm 4 & 5
Contact Telephone and Email Address
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve if you have any comments please phone 01803293561 or email email@example.com
Please close this window to return to Exton House.
Created: 14 April 2009